|End of Stage 3 (end of Year 6)|
Foundation Statement strands
The following strands are covered in this activity:
Description of activity
Students draft and write a factual description based on a visual image.
- Students select a photograph, artwork or other visual image.
- They make notes on the details in the image and create a draft description.
- Students write a factual description.
Paper, pens, assortment of photographs and artworks
The students have read factual descriptions. They have discussed the purpose of factual descriptions and the need to use detailed descriptive language to help the reader imagine what is being described. The students have been participating in a Creative Arts unit in which they have viewed artworks and read reviews of artworks, focusing on the content and language features.
Board of Studies NSW, English K–6 Modules, p 355
Producing Texts (WS 3.9)
Produces a wide range of well-structured and well-presented literary and factual texts for a wide variety of purposes and audiences using increasingly challenging topics, ideas, issues and written language features.
Grammar and Punctuation (WS 3.10)
Uses knowledge of sentence structure, grammar and punctuation to edit own writing.
Spelling (WS 3.11)
Spells most common words accurately and uses a range of strategies to spell unfamiliar words.
Criteria for assessing learning
Students will be assessed on their ability to:
- plan, draft and write a factual description
- use detail to help a reader imagine what is being described
- use a range of adjectives to describe an image
- consistently make informed attempts at spelling using a multi-strategy approach.