Talking and Listening: News
|End of Stage 1 (end of Year 2)|
Foundation Statement strands
The following strands are covered in this activity:
Description of activity
Students participate in a news session based on the weather and/or physical phenomena.
- Students research information about an aspect of the weather and/or physical phenomena.
- They collect pictures and plan what they want to tell the class about their topic.
- Students present a brief talk about an aspect of the weather and/or physical phenomena to the class, using pictures to aid their talk.
Suggested materialsResearch materials, pictures of weather and physical phenomena.
The students have been participating in a Science and Technology unit on the Weather.
Board of Studies NSW, English K–6 Student Work Samples, pp 19–25.
OutcomesSkills and Strategies (TS1.2)
Interacts in more extended ways with less teacher intervention, makes increasingly confident oral presentations and generally listens attentively.
Producing Texts (WS1.9)
Plans, reviews and produces a small range of simple literary and factual texts for a variety of purposes on familiar topics for known readers.
Context and Text (TS1.3)
Recognises a range of purposes and audiences for spoken language and considers how own talking and listening are adjusted in different situations.
Criteria for assessing learningStudents will be assessed on their ability to:
- undertake research into the weather and physical phenomena
- plan information around the topic
- explain an aspect of weather
- speak clearly and convey meaning to others
- use appropriate language for purpose and audience.